Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding, portable generators, field day

To: "R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding, portable generators, field day
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:00:51 -0500
Why do you install a ground rod at the generator?
Do you also install ground rods at each operating position?

You may be better off without a ground connection. Let the ac float. Neither side is at earth ground like it is with ac mains from the power company.

Just use a gfi breaker. That will give more protection than any grounding you may do.

73
Gary  k4FMX

R. Kevin Stover wrote:
Our FD power system is comprised of a 5KW generator with an 8ft copper clad rod driven in right next to the generator.
The frame of the generator and the genset are grounded at that point. For distribution we use an Octopus of sorts made up of a main breaker box with 4 15 amp breakers. Each breaker in the box feeds another steel box with a quad outlet. The entire system is built using 12/3 romex. It might be a good idea in a field day situation to use GFCI breakers but I don't think we've done it yet.

We will continue to run in a steady, gentle type of rain. If we hear thunder much less see lightning we run for cover.
I've never worked an FD where I haven't gotten wet at some point. Stringing dipoles in a driving rain is right down there with root canal for me.