Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding, portable generators, field day

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding, portable generators, field day
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:42:55 -0600
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:00:51 -0500, Gary Schafer wrote:

>Why do you install a ground rod at the generator?

Safety codes in general require that a power system have its neutral
bonded to earth within a very short distance of where it is
established. In a building, that would be the service entrance. A
generator also establishes a system, so that's the generally
required location.

>Just use a gfi breaker.

Well, it's safe, but I would be concerned that leakage currents
could cause nuisance tripping. As K6RIX noted, they can also trip on
RF (although I would be VERY surprised if they tripped at the 150
watt level unless the antenna system was "strange"). I've had
problems at home with RF tripping at 1 kW to antennas within about
20 ft, but never at 100 watts.

BTW -- our club (North Shore Radio Club, operating as K9OR) was #3
in 3A, a close second for all classes in the 9th call area, and #16
nationally for all classes.

Jim Brown  K9YC