Re: ***WARNING**** DISHONEST SELLER K4IDC/KB4IDC : [TowerTalk]LargeMast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: ***WARNING**** DISHONEST SELLER K4IDC/KB4IDC : [TowerTalk]LargeMast For Sale...last one
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:15:00 -0500
Follow-up to my previous:

1.  On my irate client anecdote:  I was left to speculate that this client
was a bully and liked pushing people around when he had the power to do so;
or that he resented my youth (I was 27 at the time - I don't face this issue
much any more, at 53) and wanted to "bring me down a notch," or had a sister
or cousin or something in my industry and wanted to "strike a blow" for them
(I was using newer techniques and technology that practitioners of older
methodologies felt threatened by), or fill in the blank.

2.  I was left with the theory, that I have thought about many times, both
as an "expert" producing some product using my expertise, or as a consumer
depending on someone else's expertise, that the layman typically does not
have the expertise to discern whether the product he is getting is excellent
or poor.  This is obviously tougher for the consumer to discern when the
difference is between a slightly-above-average and a slightly-below average
product -- finer differences in quality that may be difficult to evaluate,
even subjective.  To some extent, I have to take my plumber's word for it,
or my car mechanic's word for it, when he says he's fixed such and such.
Only if the fixtures leak or the car breaks down do I know something may not
be right.  Still, it's difficult or impossible to directly correlate these
problems to shoddy work, in many cases.  Things can still break, even after
the very best workman completes his work.

This theory does not seem to apply to torque arms with demonstrably poor
placement of drilled holes, provision of inadequate bolts, etc.  This may be
more a case of quality control shortcomings and a producer acquiring
expertise (as to what is acceptable and what is not) from marketplace
feedback -- which should be normal, to some extent, and a respectable
process, if the knowledge gap isn't too great.  Someone setting up shop to
produce something should know something about what they're doing and produce
a product that is at least marginally acceptable, and hopefully improve from
there.

73 - Rich, KE3Q