Re: ***WARNING**** DISHONEST SELLER K4IDC/KB4IDC:[TowerTalk] LargeMast F

To: "Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>,"RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Subject: Re: ***WARNING**** DISHONEST SELLER K4IDC/KB4IDC:[TowerTalk] LargeMast For Sale...last one
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:46:53 -0500
> > Someone setting up shop to
> > produce something should know something about what
they're doing and produce
> > a product that is at least marginally acceptable, and
hopefully improve from
> > there.
>
> Absolutely!
>
> If the torque arms and brackets came mis-drilled with
welding wire
> hanging from the welds and covered in splatter they NEVER
should have
> gone out the door.

I bought a gin pole from a well known antenna parts company
and all the welds were absolute crap. I attached that pole
to my tower and pulled sideways, and all the welds broke.
Unlike a Rohn pole, the way the pole was constructed the
entire pole would have dropped. The real unfortunate thing
is no one offered any refund or said much. I repaired the
pole myself.

After that experience, my conclusion was only a fool would
buy "homebrew" critical construction tools or tower
equipment. When I look at things made by small companies,
most of them have critical safety flaws. One thing breaks,
and you have a real bloody mess.

With that in mind, why all the whining? When you buy from an
inexperienced fabricator you are getting exactly what you
are buying. A one-off thing that may be a disaster waiting
to happen. Why complain? Suck it up, learn your lesson, and
move on.

73 Tom