Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:50:15 -0500
> For a DX'er, I would think that Steppir's coverage of the WARC bands would
clinch the deal.

Indeed.  It seems all of the big signals you hear on 17m these days are
SteppIRs.  Many people try to load up their tribanders on 17 but it just
won't give the gain the SteppIR will.  A 4-element SteppIR on 17m is a band
opener.

There will be times when an operation from a country you need seems to favor
the WARC bands.  Or, perhaps because of your busy schedule the only time
you've been home is when they are on is when they are on a WARC band.
Whatever the reason, it is safe to say that at some point that desperately
needed country will be on 12m or 17m.  If you have a tribander, you'll be
wishing you had the SteppIR!

I don't own stock in the company, I've just been very impressed with the
results on 17m and 12m.

Tom, NI1N