Re: [TowerTalk] 40 meters

To: "Tom Martin" <tmartin@chartermi.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 meters
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:16:04 -0500
Some of the "old timers" down here in the Midland area tell me going North
is a disadvantage when working DX most of the time.  I don't know it that's
true or not.

I've worked a number of South American stations running split with good
strong signals using a little AV640 with the base at 32 feet, and I get good
reports out of Europe with the 75 meter half wave center fed sloping dipole,
but nothing on 40 so far.  It may be I'm just not listening at the proper
time.
74 opens a couple hours before sunrise over there while it's the middle of
the night here and through Winter that is not working "gray line"

>I have a 2 element 40 at 80 feet and I can't even hear VR, 9M, HL, VU, XZ,
>etc. from my QTH in the UP of Michigan.  When the California stations spot
>these areas,  it's too late for my location.  Even if I am up with the
>birds, I still have no propagation to that part of the world.

I'm never up with the birds, unless you count they are sometimes up before I
go to bed.

Roger Halstead (K8RI and ARRL Life Member)
N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com