Re: [TowerTalk] 40 meters

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 meters
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:10:53 -0500
Tom,

I've never operated from MI so I'm not familiar with the propogation there.
But, from here in southwest Virginia, my best shot to southeast Asia is
often on the long path, particularly around December, where our dusk is in
synch with their dawn.

I can work into that area during our dawn as well, but the west coast
stations often still have a better shot at them than I do.  Using the long
path at our dusk, it is still 3 hours before the west coast sunset... they
won't be competing in the 40m pileups.

Southeast Asia is a black hole from here; I need every advantage I can get,
especially for rare ones that will generate a big pileup.  Not having to
compete with the west coasters is a big help, perhaps making more of a
difference than any reasonable antenna improvement would.

Unfortunately this isn't possible year-round, but give it a listen next
December :)

Tom, NI1N