Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:24:17 +0000
NI1N added:

>You hit on the one downside I've found with my 4-element SteppIR.  An
>interlaced yagi with multiple feedlines would allow SO2R operation from that
>same yagi.  But, even that only gets you so far, as it would all be pointing
>in the same direction.  At least here, when 10 or 15 is opening to SA, the
>next lower band is still open to EU, etc.
>
>Since independant rotation is also a desired feature for SO2R, I figure I'll
>get over that limitation and eventually put up another antenna for SO2R S&P
>(I'm thinking of a smaller SteppIR somewhere else on the same tower).  I'll
>probably care more when I actually get a 2nd transceiver and amp :)

Yes, beaming one direction on two bands sometimes is not
helpful.

That's why - along with trying to avoid interaction - the SteppIR
perpendicular to the beam is a great solution when the one beam
is all you can put up.  For a single band, one could easily make
a switchable Moxon rectangle or a 3-el scaled down from that
40m design with wire parasitics switched with stubs & relays
(WA3FET?) & have three directions instantly, but to do more
than one band a SteppIR is perfect.

That doesn't cover opposite direction to the beam & the situation
where two bands are open SP & another or one of those is also
open LP often happens, but there's only so much one can do
with one relatively short support.

73, VR2BrettGraham