Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "VR2BrettGraham" <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:02:29 -0500
Brett,

You hit on the one downside I've found with my 4-element SteppIR.  An
interlaced yagi with multiple feedlines would allow SO2R operation from that
same yagi.  But, even that only gets you so far, as it would all be pointing
in the same direction.  At least here, when 10 or 15 is opening to SA, the
next lower band is still open to EU, etc.

Since independant rotation is also a desired feature for SO2R, I figure I'll
get over that limitation and eventually put up another antenna for SO2R S&P
(I'm thinking of a smaller SteppIR somewhere else on the same tower).  I'll
probably care more when I actually get a 2nd transceiver and amp :)

Tom, NI1N