Re: [TowerTalk] Tapered tower hazer

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tapered tower hazer
From: Jeff Goldman <k3dua@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:07:55 -0500
I own an AN Wireless tower, and I believe it would be difficult to
directly put a hazer on it.   On each side, every other cross-member
diagonal is on the outside of the tower, and as a result would
interfere with the movement of the hazer mechanism.   Also, according
to the tower assembly instruction, the bolts at each section junction
are installed with the head on the inside, and the lockwasher and nut
are on the outside of the legs (as well as the splice plates.  All this
would make it almost impossible for the hazer ride up and down on the
legs.

On my tower I have added a real ladder  (15 inchs wide) up one side of
the tower, and using the outside cross-members to support the ladder (
I'm not using the typical steps that they put up one leg). If properly
combined with some sort of hazer trolley, the side rails of the ladder
(which are a constant distance apart) could be used as the "tracks" for
a system to run your antenna/rotor up and down.  This would avoid the
taper problem.  Telerex used to make a system like this for use on
telephone poles.

73,
Jeff, K3DUA