Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod
From: k3mm@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 00:22:03 +0000
We got NO official analysis back from the factory.  They simply replaced the
coils we claimed as defective and we promised to uncoil them all as soon as
received to avoid a repeat..  It took a several months to receive our entire
order from start to finish the first time and it took a lot longer time and a
lot of phone calls,etc., to get it replaced.  I got the impression they were
having production problems with our order at the time.  Our rod was black 3/8",
mostly coiled in 8' diameters and covered in a split black corrigated drain
tube and cardboard.  There was no sign of shipping damage on any of it.  I
believe our total order ended up being over 15,000 feet or so.

I've already explained what I observed from our coiled rod...with the rod
fibers buckling on the inner radius from the tension imposed by the ones on the
outer radius exceeding the ability of the "glue" to hold the fibers together.
It was a gradual process, which allowed me to observe it happen in various
stages at different points in the coil.  As the failure progressed, the radius
got tighter at the failure point, which accelerated the failure until the
entire rod had snapped, usually looking rather frayed at least part-way through.

Whether the "glue" from our batch was improper for one reason or another I have
no idea.

It's quite possible they have changed the resin used or had a bad mix in our
batch which made it softer or more susceptable high temperatures.

Tyler K3MM