Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers (and? twothrustbearin

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers (and? twothrustbearings?)
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 10:04:57 -0400
On 06/08/05 07:37 am David Robbins K1TTT tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

>>     *Don't rely on the bearing's set screw to support any of the dead
>>weight of the mast/antenna/coax.

> Ummmm, it wouldn't be much of a 'thrust' bearing if the set screws couldn't
> hold the weight of the mast.

The thrust bearings I have seen are almost capable of supporting a heavy
load, but they had no integral means of clamping the mast: there was a
separate "collar" secured to the mast by set screws, and this collar
then rested against the center part of the bearing.

In normal operation, wouldn't the rotator itself support most of the
downward force?

Alan NV8A