Re: [TowerTalk] elevated verticals....radial config.

To: jimjarvis@ieee.org, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated verticals....radial config.
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:28:15 -0700
According to modeling in EZNEC, as long as the two radials are symmetrical (180 degrees apart, same slope), the azimuth and elevation patterns are very uniform, and the horizontal radiation cancels quite well in the far field.

I modeled a 40m ground plane made from 33 foot lengths of #12 copper wire with the feed at 50 feet over "average" earth and 45 degree sloping radials. The elevation patterns with 2 and 4 radials are nearly identical. There is a very slightly oval azimuth pattern (+/- 0.2 dB) with 2 radials, with the slight maximum broadside to the radial plane. The maximum of the horizontally polarized signals were down 18 dB from the main lobe.

The pattern with 4 radials was omni within 0.01 dB, at all the elevation angles I checked (15, 30 & 45 degrees).

Certainly, in the real world, other nearby metal conductors (house wiring, gutters, etc.) will modify the pattern.

73, Terry N6RY