[TowerTalk] Heights Tower - Separating Aluminum from Steel

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Heights Tower - Separating Aluminum from Steel
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:50:06 -0400
        I successfully dismantled N4SU's 25 year old
96' Heights aluminum tower with one exception.  The
bottom aluminum section seems to stuck at the Steel
fold-over base joint.  I've searched the archives but
only find suggestions for separating Al-Al joints.

        Are there any who have had experience with
separating Aluminum from Steel?  This tower is quite
old and of course the bottom joint had the most
weight on it for about 25 years.

        On another topic, one Z-bar has become
separated from one leg, and another diagonal
piece has a clean break between the legs.  Has
anyone had Aluminum joints re-welded and is
it possible to repair the diagonal?

                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  It was very interesting to remove the bolts.
They were heavily rusted and most broke internally.
They had all rusted into a conical in shape inside the
tubing.  Surely they weren't stainless, but should have been!