Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations

To: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>,"'Kelly Johnson'" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:43:11 -0400
JC:

     I believe there is a liquid product that is applied to the first-poured
concrete that will enhance adhesion to the later pours.  I can't recall it's
name; maybe someone else on the reflector knows?

     However, this pier and pad foundation is a common design for cellular
tower legs (one foundation PER LEG!)  So there is obviously some solution
(answer) to this problem.  Also, I'd recommend using a concrete vibrator on
the second pour to ensure that the new concrete contacts all of the first
pour surface.

     I didn't have to get under the undercut while either digging or placing
rebar.  I was able to do both from the <safety> of the larger excavation.
But this risk is certainly something that must be carefully considered.

     BTW:  I looked for you guys on Sunday around 14.160 but there were too
may Q's going on and I couldn't spend much time listening (headed out to
church.)  Maybe next Sunday.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F