Re: [TowerTalk] Loos Tension Gauge

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loos Tension Gauge
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:26:14 +0000
Understanding how your instrument actually works is very beneficial and can be
enlightening.  I have used them for years on the sailboat to tune the rig and
have a couple of comments.

The Loos gauge is very easy and quick to use and is perfect for determining if
you have the same tension in every guy on your setup regardless of it's
accuracy.

Since it is recommended that the lower 15 ft or so of any non-metallic guy
system be EHS for physical protection.  Since the Loos is designed for
EHS/stranded systems, what I do is measure the tension in the short length of
EHS which is at the bottom of my Polygon FRP guys.  The tension in the EHS is
the same at the Polygon and therefore I don't need to worry about differences
between materials.  Now, if you don't have any EHS at the bottom of your
non-metallic guys then you'll want to "calibrate" your gauge accordingly.

--
Phil - KB9CRY
Lockport, IL