Re: [TowerTalk] Radio shack Web-remote TV camera

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radio shack Web-remote TV camera
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:57:44 -0000
You might take note, this is not a camera, it is just a usb video capture
box and software.  As such I doubt it could control x-10 devices in the
house, unless maybe it has some other connection to a power line to send the
commands to them.  There is free or cheap software out on the web that does
the web interface, video streaming, audio streaming, and even camera
control.  And you can get cameras that plug directly into usb or that go
directly into an Ethernet or wireless 802.11 network... some of the network
compatible ones even include the webserver right in the camera so no pc is
required.  This sale looks like a closeout of what is basically an obsolete
box, and when I brought up the web page it says its out of stock on-line and
via phone, so its only in stores that happen to have it sitting there... the
only real use would appear to be if you had an existing video camera and
wanted to capture the video to a pc that didn't come with some other kind of
video capture device.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net