Re: [TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation
From: Bob Smith <na6t@na6t.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:40:37 -0800
Hi Dan,

I build wireless ISP for the operators.  As a fast check you might
get the information
on the radio pwr, receiver gain, antenna gain, etc and plug it into
the calculator
in the link below and see if you have enough signal from 15miles to
get you internetl.
Be sure to change the operating frequency  to 5700mhz to do the
calculations.  I really
don't know if 5.8 is going to give you a signal at 15miles.  However,
I use 5.8 for PtP links
between mountain tops at 20 miles and get 10mb/s throughput with good
signals using
a 28dbi grid panel on one end and a 3' dish on the other.  But the
dish you are using is about
1 meter in diameter.   Why isn't the ISP using 2.4 at that range??

The radio you are describing sounds like a Motorola Canopy System.

http://www.terabeam.com/support/calculations/som.php

hope this helps,

Bob Smith

Robert Smith Consulting
"Wireless Installations -- Government, Businesses & ISP's"
F.C.C. Licensed-Commercial & Amateur Services
A.R.S NA6T
ARRL Life Member
1-707-964-4931 w/answering machine
Fort Bragg, California   95437

"On The Air-Conditioned Mendocino Coast, In REAL Northern California"
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Message: 7