Re: [TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:50:09 -0500
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:32:50 -0800, Bob Nielsen wrote:

>There are frequencies where there is a resonance with water molecules
>which causes a quite high attenuation, even without rain or snow.

My DirecTV receiver will die briefly during very heavy rain. I don't know
what frequencies they're using, but it isn't a very big dish, so there
probably isn't a lot of gain margin. Remember -- it's a digital "cliff
effect" -- that is, the signal fades gradually, but you don't notice it
until the level drops so much that the system starts losing so many bits
that it can no longer do error correction (or assemble enough bits to make
a picture).

Jim K9YC