[TowerTalk] rebar cage

To: "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rebar cage
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:20:03 -0600

The cages would normally be built on a set of saw horses.
Lay all the long (verticals) next to each other and then we would mark the
distances that
the horizontals would be placed. Trying to hold a tape measure out is to much
work.

On the job, we would have the horizontal square rebar sections preformed at the
factory
Basically they would be square with an overlap.
We would usually order them with a slight misalignment.
I mean the overlap would not be a tight to each other situation.
This would allow us to slide them around the long vertical rebar

A set of slide clamps come in handy. to hold the horizontals in place and then
tie wire
them.

If you live/work anywhere near a major concrete building, a quick stop and half
hour of
sidewalk superintendent will give you lots of free training. Any major
road/bridge
construction will probably have a cage standing by where a street lamp will be
installed.

You would be surprised how many times someone would walk up and say "I got to
do xxxxx,
how would you do it."

The world is not growing worse and it is not growing better -- it is just
turning around
as usual.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://24.14.49.4:8080