Re: [TowerTalk] Gotham Antennas

To: "TowerTalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gotham Antennas
From: "PASOTR/KC1DI" <elbc2@pivot.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:16:09 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Hi Lee,

I remember well the Gotham Verticals.  Had one when I was a novice back in
1966.. It was basically made of EMT and had a large Base Loading coil .
knowing nothing of how verticals worked in that day I had it set up in the
side yard of our home with only a 4' ground rod as the other half of the
antenna.. the losses must have been awful.. But in my ignorance I still
managed to work several dx station Crysal control about 15watts out on 40M.
Never could get it to load on 80m though , If I remember right they were
about 18 ft tall.  I've since used that same design at other location
(homebrewed ) to good effect.  But a top hat loading will help much on 80m
also.  and lots of radials.

you can find the basic design on the web at  http://www.arrl
org/tis/info/multibandvert.html

73 & Good Luck