Re: [TowerTalk] Guying on a small lot

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying on a small lot
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:47:15 -0000
From: "Jon M. Knodel" <jknodel@msn.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 8:38 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying on a small lot

>I don't know if this question has been brought up on the
>reflector or not, but here it is:
>
> I have a small lot (73' x 122') and want to install a 60'
> Rohn 25G.  Because of how the house is set and other
> structures, I am having problems placing the tower where I
> can get the specified 80% guy length (48').  I am pretty
> close to getting it but come up just short on two of the
> legs.  On the third one I can get 48' without any trouble.
> On the other two, I am about 4' short (73% instead of
> 80%).
------------------------------

The 48' guy will make an angle (a) with the ground of 51.3
degrees. The 44' guys will be 53.7 degrees. Tension in each
guy wire due to horizontal forces (Fh) on the tower (such as
wind, and the other guy wires) is Fh/cos(a), and there is
only a 6% difference in the cosines of 51.3 and 53.7.
Tension (including pretension) in the two short guys will be
only 6% higher than the other one. I wouldn't worry about
it.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.