Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing belts/harnesses demonstration

To: "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing belts/harnesses demonstration
From: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:53:54 -0400
>From the OSHA rules:

1926.502(d)(17)

The attachment point of the body belt shall be located in the center of the
wearer's back. The attachment point of the body harness shall be located in
the center of the wearer's back near shoulder level, or above the wearer's
head.

(This is taken out of context- the context is discussion of fall arrest
devices. To see the full document, go here:
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id
=10758&p_text_version=FALSE or here: http://www.elkriver.com/osha.htm and
select the "1926.502- Fall protection systems criteria and practices" link.)

I'm pretty sure the #1 technique shown on Petzl's web page
(http://en.petzl.com/petzl/ProConseils?Conseil=50&Activite=19) doesn't
comply with OSHA regs either. (For that matter, #2 probably doesn't either.)

The instructions for my MSA DynaBrake twin fall arrest lanyard clearly
states that it is to be attached to the back (dorsal) D ring.

Doug
K4DDR