Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing belts/harnesses demonstration

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing belts/harnesses demonstration
From: "Jason Creager" <jason@creager.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:35:54 -0700
On 6/14/2006 at 9:35 AM Mike Bragassa wrote:

>He also mentioned that always someone should be present while the
>climber is working in the tower and have a plan in the event of a fall.

The plan had better be basically for self-rescue. It's been awhile, but I
believe the time limit for starting rescue is three minutes. This is where
SRLs would be a good idea.

>Gradual  movement around the tower or
>climbing does not set it off; but a "instant thrust" (my words) does;
>again, much like a vehicle safety belt.

That's called a Self Retracting Lifeline.

You could actually install one at the top of your tower below the guy
points, attach a line to the hook, then pull it down when you need to
climb. In this situation, you would never want to leave your lifeline
exposed to the elements the entire time, hence the attached line to
retrieve it.

Granted, these aren't cheap, but I guarantee they're less expensive than a
week in the hospital or your funeral.

However, you can get an 11' web SRL for $376 if you're going to do the
"movable" plan.
http://www.rjsafety.com/CS5.html

>He said that  OSHA does not approve climbing gear; but does dis-approve
>climbing gear.

The only climbing company that also makes OSHA approved harnesses is Yates.
It's a liability and hassle thing.

>Especially for those of us that need to be re-educated from
>using the old conventional belt-only climbing belt. Sure it worked and
>worked good; but it is full of weaknesses.

The climbing belt is strong; the real weakness is in your pelvis. Guess
which one will break first!

Climbing belts never worked for fall arrest situations. Physics is a
constant; our understanding of the physics and human physiology evolves.

- Jason - KC0ERG
http://jason.creager.com                kc0erg@qsl.net          Las Vegas, NV
All responses subject to the terms of
http://jason.creager.com/disclaimer.html