Re: [TowerTalk] Using Plenum Plenum Cable

To: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Plenum Plenum Cable
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:21:34 -0700
At 04:07 PM 6/21/2006, K8RI on Tower talk wrote:

> > etc., cables.  As opposed to 10base-2 which used 50-ohm coax.  I
>
>I wonder why they use the nomenclature base T and base 2?

Drifting afield from antennas here, but..

base -> baseband (as opposed to on a carrier) (10BroadXX was a broadband
channelized spec.. I seem to recall it was intended for Cable TV systems,
but went away in favor of "better" approaches)
10 -> 10 Mbps

10base5 -> Thicknet - original Ethernet cable, roughly 0.5" in diameter
Then there was "thinnet" using RG-58 (which is roughly 0.2" in diameter)
10base2

When twisted pair started be used

10baseT -> 10 Mbps on twisted pair, at baseband
10BaseF -> 10 Mbps over fiber

100baseT -> 100 Mbps data rate on TP, etc.

Then you have a huge divergence.. 10GBaseT, 10GbaseCX4, etc.

There's a wikipedia entry that covers all this with historical references.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.3
   There's also the IEEE 802.3 website.http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/

Jim