Re: [TowerTalk] Using Plenum Plenum Cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Plenum Plenum Cable
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:55:05 -0400
Couple of things I need clarifying.
What is plenum rated cable? I worked in industry for years, but have been
retired for over 7, and never heard the term used.  We used thhn and other
cables in cable trays and conduit.

>I don't have any experience with plenum rated coax but I do have experience
> with plenum rated 10baseT cabling and that stuff won't last but a couple
> of

Nor have I heard of any base T cabling. I use Cat5e used for a gigabit
netork and lots of it. Like many cables it has to meet a spec for handleing
signals.The mechanical quality of Cat5e cable varies widely.  I have one
piece that has been just laying on the ground now for a couple of yerars
with no noticable deteoriation.

> months exposed to the sun.   For 10baseT they make a special outdoor
> version
> with a black UV resistant covering that's also plenum.

I have red, gray, and blue in the 1000' auto feed boxes. They all seem to do
well, but like most Cat5e cables they do not like short radius bends which
can make it a bit difficult to get into conduit.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com