Re: [TowerTalk] 160M Inverted Vee

To: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@va.gov>,"Bill Axelrod" <bill@axelrods.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160M Inverted Vee
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:53:14 +0000
Gary:

     Your description of your DX-A antenna as two slopers seems accurate to me.
 (Sounds like N4KG's broadbanded sloper design, too.)  If that is the case,
then you might get better performance on 160M simply by replacing that entire
contraption with a single 1/4 WL sloper wire on 160M and getting rid of the
lossy trap.

     You would connect the sloper to the coax the same way (sloper wire to
center conductor) but you would have to run the shield attachment point up and
down along the tower to locate the spot that gives you the best match for 1.830
MHz, or wherever your favorite freq might be.  I'm guessing that the DX-A
instructions didn't tell you to move the tap along the length of the tower to
find the best match.  Did I guess right?

     All this assumes you have somne sort of HF Yagi atop the same tower that
will provide some capacitive loading, and serve as the <other half> of your
sloper antenna.  (Your 3L 40 is on the same tower, yes?)

     For a very cogent discussion of sloper design and installation, please
check out this posting on TT:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2002-01/msg00186.html .  I
learned quite a bit from it and based my 80M sloper's design on this info.

Just remember to keep the end of the sloper wire way off the ground - maybe
something like 20 feet or more.  This is a very cheap alternative for you to
test out and report back to us all.

GL es 73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@va.gov>