Re: [TowerTalk] Vibrating Concrete...

To: "Carl Smidt" <xveoneov@primus.ca>,"Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vibrating Concrete...
From: "mryan001" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:55:16 -0400
Not sure I buy this commment about fibermessh concrete not helping to
prevent cracking.  I'd bet that those that work in the building trades and
concrete workers especially would argue most eanestly for it over not using
in most cases for strength, adhesion and crack prevention.  A lot of people
don't want the added expense but I'm told the stuff works and is worth the
extra cost per yard.  In addition the concrete workers that I know will tell
you that depending on the mix that is ordered it is often better to add more
water for a stronger mix than more concrete. This is not to say that you
just pour a foundation for your project that is full of water.  But in every
case, you have to know just what it is you are doing, what psi is called for
whether the mix is to be moved through a pumper or just poured from the
mixer straight into the hole, etc.  I just put up a HD-70G motorized 70ft
tower here in Florida. I used a fibermesh concrete AS ADVISED by the
contractor who knew that I did not want to take out a 36 month payment plan
for the conrete.  It had to be pumped to the hole which requires different
considerations all together, smaller aggregate, a different mix of water,
etc. so that it will move.  The tower is up and I can tell you I feel pretty
confident that my house will blow away here in hurricane alley before my
tower comes out of that 8ft deep hole.  That's my two cents. Good luck with
your project. -Mike