Re: [TowerTalk] 160M Inverted Vee

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160M Inverted Vee
From: "peter.voelpel" <peter.voelpel@t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:35:53 +0200
It is not the case that there is only a big lobe straight up.
Over poor ground the maximum of the lobe will be lower.
That lobe also extends down to perhaps 15° depending on the ground.
At 15° the relative gain will be 6-10db less then at 90° and just -3db at
30°. On the other hand a dipole gives us ground gain by reflection on earth.
The vertical suppresses high angle signals which will be an advantage when
listening for DX only and will have most of its relative gain in the low
angle.
Verticals are much more ground sensitive then dipoles, so it is quit often
that even the low dipole on a hilltop or in the desert outperforms a
vertical due to the poor ground.
Listening on both is not very good, I prefer beverages or small loops.

73
Peter, DF3KV