Re: [TowerTalk] free CATV

To: ka9fox@qth.com, alwilliams@olywa.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] free CATV
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:38:01 -0700
Cable TV Companies are good sources..As mentioned, they will often give
cable ends away, but recently, the local CATV company has been saving ends
for a scrap metals dealer who takes them away.

Another source of good 50 ohm stuff, are contractors who build Cell Sites.
At N6IJ a site went up nearby, and a large pile of scrap of all kinds
developed as the site was built, including pieces of Andrew 7/8" coax. Many
pieces of 20 ft or less, but a number that were greater than 100 ft.  I
asked the Job Superintendent what was to be done with the 'scraps' and he
said they would be thrown away, and I could take anything that I wanted from
a specific designated Scrap pile.  Lots of hardware, coax ground clamps,
lightning arrestors, and 7/8" Andrews.
The Superintendent almost let go a near full Andrews 7/8 spool, but decided
not to after thinking about it.   He said that a standard shipping container
of stuff to build a site, complete is dropped at the site, and the crews
work out of that to build the site.   The standard inventory often has
excess stuff, (including coax) depending on exact layout of the site.  For
the most part the Superintendent said the standard site setup inventory
excess was not accountable after the site is buiilt.
73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com;
                  Skype:  Sparky599
\