Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Distance From Shack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Distance From Shack
From: Robert Chudek - KØRC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:19:43 -0500
FB! Pete,

Regarding your measurement at 28 MHz idea...

Last winter I wanted a 1/2 wavelength feedline for 1830 KHz. I used my AEA HF
VIA Analyst to tune the coax. The AEA has a computer interface and allows
charting of measurements so I could accurately monitor the changes as I snipped
the cable shorter. This worked great and I nailed it right on my target
frequency.

I created an Excel spreadsheet to track the changes as I snipped the coax. You
can get a copy here: http://tinyurl.com/ob78y  Grab the file named "160m Coax
stub tuning"  On 1.8 MHz the 1.01:1 VSWR points are plus/minus 30 KHz (60 KHz
total) so the null is pretty broad on 160m.

The spreadsheet will show you the four snips I made and the resulting values
after each change. BTW, just for reference, removing 1 foot of this particular
coax (RG/8x no-name brand) moved the resonant point up 7 KHz. YMMV.

I was also under the assumption the feedline would work on even multiples of
the fundamental frequency. What the meter showed me was the null points skewed
as the frequency increased. It shifted up several hundred KHz each time the
frequency doubled. You can imagine in the 10m band it was way off. Well,
actually, you can see precisely how far off it was in the spreadsheet.

No one ventured to explain the skewing phenomenon I was seeing. What I learned
from this exercise was to tune the lines at the intended frequency of use.

Regarding the complex impedance measurements and figuring coax loss... Yup, I
was asleep at the stick again (talking, not doing)... Tom W8JI and your MFJ
manual are right, of course. I was thinking of my coax tuning setup where I
used the 50 ohm terminator, but not on the far end! The 50 ohm terminator goes
on the analyzer end with a T-connector to connect the coax under test, the
terminator, and the meter. The far end remains open.

73 de Bob - K0RC in MN