Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Distance From Shack

To: Robert Chudek - KØRC <k0rc@pclink.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Distance From Shack
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:28:26 -0700
At 10:23 AM 8/18/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Pete,
>
>Can you elaborate on the "1750 Hz (measured at 28 MHz) of 3/4" CATV" you
>mentioned? First, I assume you meant 1750 KHz, but aside from that, I'm
>not following what you mean.
>
>Also, measuring loss at the shack with the MFJ-259B... Unless you install
>a non-resonant 50 ohm terminator at the opposite end, your readings in the
>shack will continue to 'vary widely' (although maybe not as "widely"). If
>you installed a 50 ohm load on one port of a remote antenna switch that
>would accomplish the task, but I'm thinking this is not what you had in
>mind regarding measuring loss.

If I were putting a relay at the far end, with the goal of measuring coax
properties, I'd terminate it in a deliberate mismatch other than a short or
open, and certainly not in a load matched to the line.  Maybe into 25 ohms
(two 50 ohm loads in parallel).  Then, you could use your MFJ (or almost
anything else) to get a pretty quick handle on what the actual cable
properties are.

With a 50 ohm load at the far end, you won't be able to characterize the
cable very well, because there won't be any reflected power for your meter
to see coming back.

With an open or a short, you get a lot of power reflected, but then, you'll
be making measurements at high SWR, where your meter is least accurate.