Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams
From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:02:11 -0400
Jim said that there are people who cannot afford to put a beam on a
properly engineered tower, implying that if you can't afford to put one
on a properly engineered tower, it's OK to put one a tower that is not
properly engineered -- or one whose credentials are uncertain.

I have friends -- fellow hams -- who say, "You're going to put 6 1/2
yds. of concrete in a base for a tower!? Whoever designed that
foundation must be crazy. Engineers are a bunch of idiots. Forget the
drawings and just dig a hole and put 3 yds. in. It'll be fine."

73

Alan NV8A