Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams

To: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:53:33 -0700
At 02:11 PM 8/18/2006, K8RI on TowerTalk wrote:

> > Yes. And not all hams have spare cash laying around. For many, it is
> > a stretch to own one decent radio. The cost of a beam on a properly
> > engineered tower could put a child through a year at some colleges!
>
>That's either a very expensive college

Sadly, not these days.. except for the community colleges.  Even at state
supported instutitions like UCLA, it's $7143/yr for undergrad (not counting
dorms, etc.).

http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/Fees/grad.htm

Moving down a tier, Cal State Northridge is $3000/yr

Community colleges are $26/unit plus some additional fees. (to get your 2
yr degree takes about 50 units)

Get into private institutions like USC or Stanford, and I suspect the tab
runs a bit higher<grin>.

>  or cheap tower installation.  A good
>size tower that requires engineering at the local level (in some areas)
>could send a kid all the way through some four year colleges.

I suspect that the places that require lots of engineering are also
expensive places to go to college.  <grin>

Jim, W6RMK (who has a 13 year old child and is starting to really pay
attention to this stuff)