Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:31:06 -0400
< snip >

> I just feel sorry for the poor sucker, long after I am dead and gone, who
> tries to remove those concrete foundations from the ground.

That's why we put the tops a foot below the surface. Saw everything off and
cover it up. It'll be great until some one want's to dig a hole there. <:-))

At a previous home which we built from scratch we came up with an "erratic"
(Erratic = boulder that isn't native to the area) about the size of a car
and back then cars were a lot larger than today's.    They were doing some
digging out front so with a couple of dozers managed to get the thing into
the hole out front.  Even then the top was only about 6" under the surface.

Some years later the gas company decided they were going to run a high
pressure main through out front yard. I told them they couldn't.  The guy
went into orbit before I could tell him why, so I just sat back in my lawn
chair and watched.  They were moving right along until they got to that
rock.  That big trencher let out a bang they should have been able to hear
for miles as it hopped right out of the ground. The foreman came up with a
dejected look that told me I didn't have to say "I told you so".  His only
words were a sad "How big is it?"  When I told him it was the size of a big
car, they backed up to get an angle around the boulder,  so there is now a
portion of that main that runs under a country road.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com