Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:25:42 -0400
K7NV did a computational study some years ago to compare pier pin versus fixed
base construction, and found some circumstances, IIRC, where the fixed base
would cause failure in the first section at a lower wind speed than if an ideal
pier pin were used.  That said, my Rohn 25 pier pin is far from ideal, because
there is a lot of friction between the base plate and the top of the concrete
base.  Since there will be maximum downward force at the times you're most
concerned about, you have to wonder how much of the advantage will be lost.

Oh by the way, I very much doubt my 97 foot tower is straight within a degree,
and I don't know where true North is within 5 degrees, even.  Honestly, the
things some hams get spun up about!

73, Pete N4ZR