Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:58:51 -0400

>I was told to wait 4 weeks, seemed to be a bit OT, but I did it anyway and
> glad I did, it is still good 15 years later.  By the way you have to wet
> it

They didn't tell me anything other than a couple of days.

I had the base section plus one 10 footer on top of it setting in place and
guyed to hold it vertical. The bottoms of the legs were in the crushed rock
probably 4 or 5 inches. The whole works was supported by a wood frame.  We
poured the "high strength" concrete around the tower base.  It was probably
about a week later I started putting the tower up.

> down regularly, that I was told is really important. As I am in CA, that
> was
> really a challenge.

Here the idea was to get the concrete in the hole before it filled with
water.  Well, it's not quite that bad, but there was no need to water down
the concrete even once.  (OTOH in the Spring the water table is about 12"
below the surface where the tower base is located)  I did my shop floor at
the same time and did not have to wet it down either.  OTOH this was late in
the Fall.  It took the concrete so long to set the contractor was back at
1:00 AM doing the final power trowling using his pickup truck lights so he
could see.  The water didn't feeze, but the yard was white with frost in the
morning.  Then again, I guess that's not a common site in CA either, at
least not in the South. <:-))

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)