Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vee vs. Dipole QRN

To: "K4SAV" <RadioIR@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vee vs. Dipole QRN
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 09:53:43 -0800
From: "K4SAV" <RadioIR@charter.net>

> 80 meter inverted vee with apex at 100ft, 90 degree included angle,
> azimuth response at 10 deg el. Numbers are: Az angle in degrees,
> Horizontal component in dBi, Vertical component in dBi, signal to noise
> ratio in dB. 90 degrees is perpendicular the plane of the antenna.
> AZ  Horz  Vert   S/N
> 90  -2.7  -100   97.3
> 45  -6.2  -9.3   3.1
> 25  -10.9 -7.4  -4.5
> 10  -18.7 -6.8  -11.9
> 0   -45   -6.4  -38.6
>
> 80 meter horizontal dipole at 100ft, azimuth response at 10 degrees
> elevation:
> AZ  Horz  Vert   S/N
> 90  -1.1  -100   98.9
> 45  -4.9  -16.1  11.2
> 25  -10   -14.5  4.5
> 10  -18   -14    -4
> 0   -100  -13.9  -86.1

These results suggest to me that in an urban environment
where the noise is fairly isotropic (lots of small sources
coming from all directions adding up non-coherently) that
the dipole in general will be better than the inverted-vee
for receiving (unless the desired signal is in the null off
then end of the dipole). I've seen this in practice
comparing a 160 meter horizontal dipole at 90ft to a 80
meter inverted-vee at 90ft in an urban location (very high
man-made local noise floor). On 80 meters, 9 times out
of 10, the 160 meter dipole produces a significantly better
SNR on receive than the 80 meter inverted-vee. It could
be that the noise at this location isn't as isotropic as I
assume, but I am betting its the polarization characteristics
rather than the directivity of the two antennas that makes
the difference.

In a rural location where all the noise arrives via skywave,
I don't think it matters too much.