[TowerTalk] One more question on PL-259s

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] One more question on PL-259s
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:42:45 -0800
I must have soldered hundreds of these nasty little things over the
years and it just occurred to me there might be a better way to do the
center conductor.

I have always trimmed the center conductor so it was flush with the
end of the center pin and then soldered it. This works reasonably
well, but I've had some well-soldered pins eventually break free from
the center conductor due to vibration and flexing.

It occurred to me that it might actually be a stronger connection if I
cut the center conductor short by about 1/8 inch so it was down inside
the center pin and then flowed the solder down to it. That way, the
solder would have the entire face of the cut end of the cable to bond
to and should be a bit stronger I would think.

Just some idle thoughts on a cool evening in the desert while watching
the moon rise.

Comments?

Bill, W6WRT