Re: [TowerTalk] stacking monobanders

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stacking monobanders
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:13:56 -0600
Dave,

Have you ever operated 40m from the northern latitudes?
Anecdotal results from a QTH in Arizona are irrelevant.
Have you ever used a 2L 40m beam at 60 feet?

Doug/VA5DX

I disagree with your disagreement ... hi.

Per my earlier message, there is 2db difference for a 2 element 40m yagi

at 60 feet versus 45 feet.  That's about the same as the difference
between a 2 element and a 3 element yagi.  What I didn't mention before
is that having a yagi too low also degrades the azimuth pattern and
loses a lot of QRM rejection.

No offense meant, but anecdotal results don't help in making good
antenna decisions.  I've worked Bouvet with a short 40m vertical and 100

watts, and I've worked FR5 on 20m with 5 watts to a low vertical loop.
Neither would be my preference for antennas.  A QTH in VE5 might make my

wishlist for generating a pileup during a contest, though ;)

73,
Dave  AB7E

26/11/2006 11:30 AM