Re: [TowerTalk] Potential New FCC Tower Construction Threat

To: "'Jim Jarvis'" <jimjarvis@optonline.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Potential New FCC Tower Construction Threat
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:16:38 -0500

> Also, no differentiation between 1,000' high midwestern TV
> towers, and  100' high cell towers.  Might be interesting to
> see if we're getting piles of bird carcases around cell
> towers.

They don't even get "piles of bird carcasses" around 1000' high
midwestern TV towers.  I spent 15 years around a 1200' TV tower
- with strobes - us outside Columbus Ohio through he 80's and
most of the 90's.  That tower was responsible for the death of
fewer than 2-3 dozen a year.  We would see a couple per month in
the spring and fall with none in the winter and a rare carcass
during the summer months.

For DF&WS's "estimates" to be even in the ballpark, every one of
the estimated 10,000 towers more that 800 feet tall in the US
would have to claim 1000 birds a year ... In my opinion that
number is simply not credible and is probably off by a factor
of at least 10.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV