Re: [TowerTalk] Bye bye CoaxSeal...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bye bye CoaxSeal...
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:12:55 -0500

> In a message dated 12/12/2006 4:00:12 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>
>>  At the prices they get for those Quick-Seal  enclosures
> (http://www.sitepro1.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=26)
> I  think that Coax-seal will continue to be a very viable option.
> They look  like a really good idea -- and the cost reflects that.

The best stuff I ever used was a self vulcanizing Silicone rubber tape. It
came in various widths, but all we had were 1", 1 1/2", and 2".  It was
tapered being fairly thick in the middle and then tapering off to a very
thin edge. There was an alignment mark for the edge of the next wrap. It was
great stuff to use. It stretched plenty to become conformal in some pretty
tight places, It wrapped tight enough to provide a vapor seal, and even
chemicals like Acetone would not "wick" through capilary action. To remove
it we used a single edge razor blade to make a relatively shallow cut
lengthwise. It would then pratically "unzip".  We used it in very high power
RF applications. Some of these systems ran in the hundreds of KW.  Even 20
years ago the stuff was *expensive* and I've never been able to find any one
selling it.

>    CoaxSeal is only an option if used correctly (I  personally hate the
> stuff). DO NOT apply CoaxSeal directly to a connector - IT  WON'T COME
> OFF. Put a
> layer or two of Scotch 33 or 88 on the joint first and  then put the vapor
> wrap layer on. (And then 2-3 top layers of the  aforementioned Scotch
> tape.)

I'm not a fan of coax seal and don't use it in my own station, but as to not
coming off: the stuff is still relatively soft and does not render the
connector unuseable. Me?  I use crimp connectors which are a one time deal
and I use clamp connectors.  I wasn't happy with how well the clamps type
held so they get a shot of vinyl ester resin. Those are not only
unreuseable, but have to be cut off. OTOH they do make a very good
mechanical connection.

With UHF connectors I use flooded heat shrink which can be removed with a
*lot* of work, but looks even worse than connectors that had CoaxSeal on
them.

>    It's not the CoaxSeal I hate, it's the fact that  amateurs put it right
> on the connector, rendering it useless for future use.  It's a one-time
> application.

Prior to using the heat shrink on UHF connectors I used to "paint" them with
liquid electrical tape. It took a wernch to get them apart, but even those
were reuseable. There are still areas where I paint connectors as it's the
only way I can be assured of getting the whole works sealed in those
instances.

Using CoaxSeal, flooded Heat Shrink, or liquid electrical tape does not
render the connectors useless for future use. It does leave them looking
unsightly to the point you want to throw them away but they work just as
good as they did before.

>    Professionals use a vapor wrap butyl rubber  products such as the ones
> from db Products or Andrew which do peel  right off of a connector. Do
> yourself
> a favor and get the real  stuff.

Those connectors are expensive as well as being designed to be reuseable. I
consider N and UHF connectors for RG-8 style cables to be disposable. I use
good quality connectors and I keep a drawer full of every thing from F
through N to fit cables from RG-58, RG-6, to LMR-600 and inbetween.

I'm a scrounger to be sure, but not with coax fittings.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com