[TowerTalk] Tram rope

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tram rope
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:27:04 -0800 (PST)
Let me second Dave's comment... Using rope for a tram line, or small diameter
cable is asking for a crash... I also use only 1/4" EHS...  Because the tram
line is pulled into a caternary shape the total forces on it are far greater
than just the weight of the beam...
The other thing I do is that the tram line is run up to the top of the tower,
through a pulley, and back down to a ground anchor on the opposite side... This
way the side thrust is not transferred to the tower... Because of having to fly
the beam over the woods, etc., my tram line is 600 feet overall and is kept on
a drum and used only for that purpose.....

denny / k8do

http://mail.yahoo.com