Re: [TowerTalk] Tram rope

To: wc1m@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tram rope
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:52:37 -0500
The pre-tension force can be checked with a Loos guage.  You're correct
that it is significant.

If someone yanks 50 lb on a tag line to a balanced antenna, that's a
lot.  Tag line forces are likely an order of magnitude smaller than the
others.

Sorry for the screw-up in the early morning calculations... and glad
someone caused me to do them again.

You'll be OK with the wire rope tram -- no significant stretch at all so
it will stay nicely in place once the sag is taken up.

Be sure the tram-riding pulley has the correct sheave diameter, width
and material for wire rope.  I saw another nasty failure when a
plastic-sheaved pulley (suitable for fibrous rope, but not wire rope)
was used on wire rope.  While the pulley was loaded, the wire rope cut
right through the plastic.  The small diameter wire rope's point load on
the plastic was high enough to just deform the plastic out of the way.
The wire rope cut down through the plastic until it was sliding over the
metal pin at the center of the sheave.  The pin gouged and eventually
cut the wire rope, dropping the load.

73,
   -- Eric K3NA