Re: [TowerTalk] Tram rope

To: wc1m@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tram rope
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:50:11 -0500
Dick --

Addressing your questions (to the best of my limited knowledge):

A snatch block is a pulley (block) whose frame opens so that the rope
can be laid into the block; i.e., one does not have to thread the end of
the rope through the block.  Either a snatch or normal block can be used
at the base of the tower.

Wire rope clip data:  One minute on Google yielded:
http://www.whscc.nb.ca/docs/e_Safetytalk15.pdf

   For 5/16" rope, the smallest size on page 2, two clips are required
with 30 ft-lb torque on unlubricated bolts.  That's bigger than your
rope size, so we go to the next site... a wire rope hardware manufacturer:
http://www.sanlo.com/product/fstops.htm

Here it states that for drop forged wire rope clips for 1/4" rope, two
are required with 15 ft-lb torque.  The rope turnback distance is 4.75"
(see the drawings from the other site above for explanation of turnback).

There are other sites that say the same.  For more complex question,
refer to "The Lineman's and Cableman's Handbook" or "Handbook of
Rigging", both excellent references.  The later discusses wire rope
clips and installation on pp 229-231.  (Thanks to John W0UN for tipping
me off to these books many years ago.)

Use of dead-end guy grips:
   Note:  Preformed Line Products' website states: "[Dead end guy grips]
should not be used as tools; that is come-alongs, pulling-in grips, etc."
   The site also states the grip is made of the same material as the
strand to which it is applied.  So applying a galvanized EHS
large-diameter strand to a small-diameter strand wire rope sounds wrong.

Wire rope is very different construction from the 7-strand guy wire.
"6x19" rope contains 6 strands made up of 15-26 wires, of which no more
than 12 wires are "outside" (lay on the outside surface of the rope).
The wire diameters vary and the cross-section layouts differ (Seale,
Warrington, or filler are common layouts).  The key point is that the
outside surface of wire rope does not resemble guy cable -- so I would
be skeptical that a dead-end grip desired for guy cable will work
properly on wire rope.

Furthermore, the PLP catalog shows the grips as having left-hand lay.
Guy cable is also left-hand lay.  But most wire rope is right-hand lay!
(The lay of a line can be determined by looking at the line from above,
with the line stretched out to run straight away from your waist.  If
the outer strands on the top of the line wrap toward the left as they
recede away from you, that is left hand lay.)  (And in most wire rope,
the lay of the individual wires within each strand are opposite to the
lay of the rope -- that's called "regular".  So most wire rope is
Regular Right Lay.  The opposite design, called "lang", results in more
flexible rope that has greater resistance to abrasion and fatigue ...
but it kinks & untwists much more easily.  You don't want Lang lay
(either right or left) on a rope that's lifting anything because the
rope untwists under tension, lengthening and causing the load to spin.)

-- Eric K3NA