[TowerTalk] Tram Rope

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tram Rope
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 06:47:42 -0800 (PST)
I'll try to reply to all the comments...

First, yes, the wood drum the EHS is on is two feet in diameter, and you roll
the drum and wire around, you don't carry it <at least I can't>.. Yes, EHS has
a memory, you just work with it - sorta like petting an alligator, carefully...

 I am tramming a 40 meter beam 300 feet horizontally and 150 feet vertically,
and rope of any kind is not the answer...  As for calculating the tension on
the caternary, calculus is used by the engineering department to find the
stress for a specific load..  Back then being the guy out on the plant floor
who had to get the job done no matter what, I simply used tables from the
millwright handbook for sizing the tram lines..., and the last time I consulted
the tables was 35 years ago, now...
My rule of thumb is that the ultimate load on a tram line is 20 times the
weight...  Yes, that seems high, but if the load jerks or swings it will hit
that number in a heart beat...

denny / k8do

http://mail.yahoo.com