Re: [TowerTalk] Tram rope

To: wc1m@msn.com, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tram rope
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:42:56 -0500
Hi Dick --

   First, definitions... A capstan is not a winch.

   A "capstan", as you have, contains a drum around which several turns
of rope are laid.  As the drum rotates, new turns are added to the drum
and old ones are removed.  A capstan generally requires tending the dead
end of the line, and attention so that turns do not get overlapped or
become too slack.  Capstans are not man-rated in the occupational-safety
world; i.e., they should never be used on a line that is supporting a
person.  Capstans can handle an infinite length of line, since line is
always exiting and entering the drum at the same time.

   A winch buries the dead end of the line at the bottom of the drum,
and has a finite capacity to reel up line until it is full.

   A capstan (or winch) can be located away from the tower base; e.g.,
bolted to suitably anchored posts.  If you don't like having a line
angling down from the top of the tower out to the capstan (or winch),
you can run the line through a turning pulley near the base of the
tower, and then horizontally over to the capstan/winch location.  Use a
large diameter pulley with a sheave width that matches the rope diameter
to minimize friction and to properly support the rope through the turn.
(The later sentence is true of all pulleys used in tower work or any
other application.)

   Wire clips of correct size, number, spacing and installation (nuts
tensioned according to manufacturer's instructions) will have greater
holding strength than the breaking strength of the wire cable.

   I didn't say, or mean to imply, that a Klein grip wasn't safe at the
loads we were talking about... and I wouldn't object if someone left
their Klein grip and come-along attached to the tram line and anchor
point.  If I were doing the job, I'd probably secure the end of the tram
line and get the excess hardware out of the way (having tripped over a
few come-alongs in the past).  But that's just me.

   I'd feel comfortable using a guy grip on 7-strand steel cable tram
line, since that's what it was designed for.  According to my
understanding, one can't re-use the same guy grip over and over... so it
would have to be tossed at the end of the job (unless you're saving the
tram line with the guy grip for reuse at a future date).  I don't know
how the manufacturer feels about using a guy grip designed for 7-strand
cable on wire rope of the same diameter; the manufacturer's Prime
Directive applies here.  Maybe there are grips designed specifically for
wire rope.

-- Eric