Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors

To: <wc1m@msn.com>, <mclarson@rcc.com>,"'Roger Kissel'" <kc8hz@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 16:14:38 -0500
The way Dick describes installing connectors is the correct way to do it.
Very nice Dick!

I might add that with some of those not so well plated connectors you might
try some liquid or paste flux applied inside the connector with a small
brush before putting the cable in. Go lightly as you want the flux only
where you want the solder to go to.

Tinning the braid first as Dick describes ensures that solder is distributed
clear around the shell and not just in the holes area of the connector.

As pointed out it is also important for the jacket to be well inside of the
connector for stress relief. Bending a soldered braid repetitively as with
soldering the braid to the outside of the shell is a recipe for failure.

73
Gary  K4FMX