Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors

To: dezrat@copper.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 09:57:00 -0800

>On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:01:48 -0500, "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
>  wrote:

> >9. The problem with PL-259 connectors is that the solder holes are not
>large
> >enough for the size soldering tip you need to quickly heat the connector
> >body. The solution is to slightly enlarge the holes.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

I believe that going to crimp PL 259s, is the obvious way to go for speed
and reiliability,
but if you solder, here is my experience:

1. Use silver plated, teflon dielectric conectors
2. If plated connectors are used, file or burnish surface plating, at holes
to fresh brass surface
3. Clamp connector in bench vise, via RG-8 type coax, right at coax coming
from connector.
4. Get BIG iron, Mine is  Black Diamond, 120 watts, with 9/32' dia Cu tip;
$2.00 at garage sale
5. File solid copper tip to 45 degree 4 sided point
6. Tin well
7. Hold hot iron vertically above the prepared connector in vise
8. Add lots of solder so as to form large "drop" of solder hanging from tip
9, Lower tip into hole, with solder completely filling voids between chisel
tip and connector
10. Done right, it takes about 2-4 seconds to bring connector in vicinity of
holes to solder melt temp
11. Lift solder tip a little and rapidly add wire solder iinto hole,
engaging the shield below.
12. have on hand a wet rag to briing connector temp down quickly.

Works for me..

73, DX de Pat, AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com