Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Cable Tension - W4XN Tower Progress

To: "Dr M J DiGirolamo" <DrD@2020.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Cable Tension - W4XN Tower Progress
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 17:13:07 -0700
I suspect that rather than measuring the tension with an expensive device,
one can calculate the tension after approximating the weight of what is
being tilted up.  This calculation will require someone with more knowledge
than me but hopefully there are those on this forum that can do so, if given
the fundamentals:

1.  The tower with antennas weighs at most about 2000 pounds.
2.  The tilt fixture is about 7' tall and the tilt cable attaches to the
tower about 7' from the bottom.
3.  The tower has a heavy 23' mast and antenna at the far end so one has to
approximate the weight distribution.
4.  The HDX572 tilt fixture, if it like mine, has two pulleys at its top.
The cable from the winch goes through one of these pulleys, out and around a
pulley on the tower (7' from bottom); back to the second pulley at the top
of the fixture, then back around the second pulley on the tower and on to
attach to the tilt fixture.  This gives a mechanical advantage of 4?

Since only one cable comes out of the winch, intuition tells me that all of
the tension is on this one cable of the four in use.  However the winching
effort is greatly reduced by using four pulleys and I think that the tension
is distributed somewhat equally to the four pulleys resulting in a cable
capability of ~9800 lb x 4 (less efficiency of the pulleys).

With equal 7' heights the pulling force is at 45 degrees so that the lifting
component required  initially  is 1.4 times the tension on the
cable.

 How does one determine the tension on the cable when the ~23' tower and 23
mast extension is being pulled up at 7' from the bottom of the tower.  When
the tower tip is just off the ground, then because the fulcrum is at 7'
(towers pulleys at 7') it would appear that the unbalanced tower is trying
to pull the cement block up!

My guess is that the tilting fixture can easily handle the tension?  The
LM470 uses only two pulleys for the same load.

k7puc